Concept Quests are compilations of challenging mathematical tasks that align with the units in Bridges in Mathematics. Each unit consists of 12 problem solving tasks and puzzles, including:
- 6 Excursions to apply and deepen students’ understanding of essential concepts. Excursion tasks often ask students to apply the mathematics they are currently working on in novel ways and/or authentic contexts.
- 6 Adventures to extend students’ thinking and provide opportunities for them to make important mathematical connections. Adventure tasks are often significantly more challenging than Excursion tasks.
These additional curriculum resources provide an opportunity for all students to be mathematically challenged. The tasks are available in every classroom, for all students. Students may self-select a task when they are ready for a challenge. Students can work on their own, or collaborate with others.
How can you support your child with Concept Quests? You may ask them:
- Have you tried a Concept Quests task? Why or why not?
- How did you solve the task?
- What did you find challenging or easy about the task?
- How did the task ask you to think differently than you have been thinking in math?
- Did a classmate solve the problem in a different way?
- How does it feel to complete a task? To leave a task unfinished?
Encouragement is important to this process, as well as an understanding that your child may take a long time or not use the most efficient strategy to solve a problem. All too often, students come away from math thinking that if they do not solve problems quickly, easily, and in a particular way, they are not mathematicians. Instead, we need to provide opportunities for students to discover that really good math problems can be solved in multiple ways, and take time and exceptional effort. The challenge makes the feeling of success so much more powerful when the task has been conquered.
The Talent Development, Academic Challenge and Gifted Support teacher will connect weekly with students who are attempting Concept Quest tasks.